7 of 23
Old State Capitol, 1820-1839
The capital of Illinois was moved from Kaskaskia, Illinois, to a plot of high ground overlooking the Kaskaskia River in 1820. Here a town was carved out of the wilderness to become the Second Capital of the state and where Abraham Lincoln honed his skills as a freshman legislator. It is the site of his first speech to speak against slavery. Here he received his license to practice law and the city of Chicago received its city charter.
Vandalia was the terminus of the first national highway the federal government built to open up the interior of the country to development. It is marked by the Madonna of the Trail statue erected by the daughters of the American Revolution to commemorate the pioneer mothers who traveled by covered wagon.